Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Product Spotlight for July: Bending Branches Angler Scout Paddle

The Bending Branches Angler Scout is a high quality paddle for fisherman who want an entry priced product with features dedicated solely to the kayak angler.

Review by Felix "Bill" Chen



The Bending Branches Angler line of paddles was designed by a team of professional kayak fishermen. This is one of the few paddles on the market made specifically for anglers. And it certainly fulfills its part.



Construction:

The Angler scout is made with a strong and durable aluminum shaft with nylon blades. The paddle weighs about 1000g and can be adjusted to 2 feathered settings. The paddle can also be broken down into two pieces. The paddle I am reviewing is 230 cm, which would be an appropriate size for most anglers. The Bending Branches website says that this paddle also comes in the standard 220cm and 240cm as well.


Features:
I run a Hobie Mirage Outback for my fishing trips, so paddling with a heavy paddle is not much of a concern to me since I'm using the pedals most of the time. The Angler Scout is the most basic and therefore heaviest model. When I did use this paddle however, I found that despite the weight, I was able to get the boat moving pretty quickly. Theres no wiggle at all that you sometimes find with cheaper aluminum paddles.
The hook retrieval system is a pretty interesting feature that I didn't get to use much on my last trip. Pulling in the lures was very easy once you got the hand of holding a paddle and a rod in each hand. Most of the time I clip my paddle when I start messing with stuff on deck, but that's just me.
The paddle features a ruler which I think is super useful. Even with the paddle strapped to my boat I could measure my catch and perhaps more importantly take a halfway decent picture without having to pull my measuring stick out of my bag! I just lay the the paddle across the deck and snap away.


Conclusion:

This is a great paddle for anglers making their first kayak purchase. While the weight is considerable on this aluminum constructed paddle, the sleek design, and useful features of this paddle make it a great piece. For just $99 I'd say this is a much better buy than a equivalently prices recreational paddle with no features for fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment